How Not to Get Divorced
Advice for Divorce Mediation in San Francisco
For many people who are going through a divorce, it can be a confusing and upsetting time they have never experienced before. Without much experience in a divorce, it can be easy to make mistakes that have a severe impact on the divorce process and your life going forward. There are many factors that can affect how long and how much money it takes to finalize a divorce in California. At Liaise Divorce Solutions we feel there a few important things to keep in mind to help you through the dissolution of the marriage.
Our San Francisco mediation service is here to help you. Call us at (415) 969-9936.
The divorce process can be easier for you if you remember:
- That you are not at war with your spouse – You are in fact in a negotiation with your spouse. It can be very beneficial to be thoughtful and reasonable and carefully considers positions.
- To not demonize the other party – While you are not as close as you once were, vilifying an ex-spouse can make advancing your position in the negotiations more difficult.
- Making concessions is essential – Many people think they will get each and every thing they want from a negotiation. That is an extreme rarity in any negotiation process.
- You are not immune to the rules – There are very strict guidelines set forth by the State of California for determining family law issues such as child support or property division.
- Words do hurt – People can often say things without considering the possible consequences of those words. Hurtful words are abusive and can weaken your position in a negotiation.
- To get the psychological help you need – This is likely one of the most stressful moments of your life. We are not therapists but have witnessed how beneficial therapy can be for people in a similar situation.
- Divorce isn’t a meal ticket – Just because you were married it does not mean the other person is automatically required to take care of your finances for the rest of your life.
- Things will get better – We understand this is a difficult and hard process for you. It might seem like things won’t get better but, over time, they will improve and you can move on with your life.
- Choose mediation over litigation – Litigation is a costly and involved process, often lingering for months or years. Mediation can make the process faster, cheaper, and less stressful for you and your family.